Sex and the City is one of my all-time favourite TV shows.
From the cast and the clothes to the story lines and the quotes, I have probably seen every episode at least 10 times and I could recite each scene off the top of my head.
It revolutionised television in the ’90’s, particularly for females – women were being empowered by other women. The scripts were funny and made you feel like you could be friends with these ladies – they were relatable characters (to some extent). Yes, some of the story lines were a bit far fetched and Carrie was a tad melodramatic but when the show ended we all mourned. And then the movies came out and we rejoiced – Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha were back!
After watching some re-runs recently it got me thinking about all the little things I have learned from the show over the years. Here is my list, in Buzzfeed style.
1. Do not spend $4000 on shoes if you have no place to live.
2. Stop putting others on pedestals. It’s the first step to feeling better about yourself.
3. George Clooney will always be in style. As will Chanel.
4. Miranda knows best.
5. If something isn’t fine, have a glass of wine.
6. Sometimes we judge, and that is okay.
7. One piece of advice to all men out there – never mock the clothes.
8. It’s important to have friends who will always have your back.
9. Accept that some people are only meant to stay in your life for a short period of time.
10. Never apologise for your success.
11. It’s okay to order greasy food and drink cocktails on a weekday, or any day for that matter. Especially if it’s been a bad day.
12. It’s 2014. It’s okay for women to make the first move.
13. Always have a backup. Whether its an external hard drive or a Plan B.
14. Love is blind.
15. Coffee is always the answer. Coffee coffee coffee.
16. No matter how many clothes we own, we will always moan about not having enough.
17. It’s fine to have a rant now and then.
18. Shit happens. (I couldn’t resist, apologies!)
19. Always remember that exclamation point.
20. Post-its aren’t always helpful. And they won’t get you out of a problem.
21. Wine o’clock with friends are the best.
22. Changes can only come from within you.
23. Everyone has bad days, don’t take this personally.
24. Those ‘perfect’ models probably hate their thighs too. Photoshop works wonders.
25. Know when your friends have had enough of your moans and groans.
26. It’s okay to enjoy some down time. Especially if you’re spending it watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians.
27. Invest in your friendships.
28. Friends like these are important. Even when there is nothing to celebrate…
29. Regret nothing. Learn from your experiences.
30. And most importantly, when you find good friends who are there for you no matter what – do your best to keep hold of them, they are rare.
What is your favourite Sex and the City episode? Let me know in the comments!